Saratoga Tax Lawyers Ainer & Fraker, LLP

Do You Qualify for Child Care Tax Credits?

Many parents who work or are looking for work must arrange for care of their children during the school vacation. If you are one of those, and your children requiring care are under 13 years of age, you may qualify for a child care tax credit.

The credit ranges from 20% to 35% (the IRS provides a table) of non-reimbursed expenses based upon your income, with the higher percentages applying to lower income taxpayers and the lower percentages applying to higher income taxpayers. As example, if your income (AGI) is below $15,000, the credit percentage is 35% and gradually reduces as your income increases, until it caps out at 20% for incomes above $43,000. The maximum expense amout allowed is $3,000 for one child and $6,000 for two or more. The credit is non-refundable, which means it can only reduce your tax to zero and the excess is lost.

The Child and Dependent Care Credit is available for expenses incurred during the lazy hazy days of summer and throughout the rest of the year. You must claim the qualifying child for whom you pay care expenses as your dependent to qualify to claim the credit (but there’s an exception for divorced or separated parents).

Click the following link for further information on The Child and Dependent Care Credit.

John Erik Fraker, Esq.

View all posts

John Erik Fraker, Esq.

Call Now Button